Another reason I’m looking forward to moving abroad to France is the food.
Croissants, baguettes, foie gras, raclette, soufflé and of course, crêpes.
With us all spending a bit more time inside for the foreseeable future, we thought we’d bring France to our kitchen.
Florian and I have spent years trying to find the perfect recipe to recreate this favourite dish that doubles as a savoury or sweet treat.
What you’ll need:
- 150 g plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 1 large egg
- 1.5 cups of milk
- 10 g unsalted butter
What you’ll need to do:
- Put the sifted flour into a bowl and create a well in the centre
- Crack the egg into the well and slowly whisk in the flour to the mixture (we like using a fork)
- Gradually add the milk and continue to combine until the mixture becomes a runny liquid
- Strain the mixture into another bowl or measuring cup (we use a cocktail jug for easy pouring) and leave to rest for at least 10 minutes
- Whilst the mixture is resting, melt the butter either on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Add the butter to the crêpe mixture after the 10 minutes and stir well
- Put a medium or large fry plan on high heat
- Ensure the fry pan is hot before pouring in the mixture.
Remember you are making crêpes not pancakes so only pour in a enough to evenly cover the base. There is a universal rule of the terrible first crêpe so use this to gauge how much mixture and how to spread it around the base. If there are any holes, you can always add a little more mixture.
- You’ll notice the mixture will begin to slightly bubble and the edges will rise, when you see this occur, use a spatular to flip the crêpe, or try your hand at flipping it (good luck!)
- Et voilà! Continue steps eight and nine and add your favourite fillings.
Florian’s go-to filling is Nutella, whereas I love Nutella with flaked coconut.
Other ideas include, jam, lemon and sugar, strawberries, banana or anything savoury such as cold meats, cheese etc.
If you decide to try your hand at the above, I would love to be tagged in your picture on social with @_thatgirlfromsydney